TLUG and government grants

Meng Cheah meng-D1t3LT1mScs at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 4 05:36:33 UTC 2005

Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> I don't know about the Toronto project, but the Portland FreeGeek
> project has a very elaborate way to sort, test and classify incoming
> hardware as re-usable or not. The first priority is to try to reuse
> things, especially those which can be brought back to life with a new
> capacitor here or a new power supply there.
> When deemed unreusable, some components (such as the metal from most
> cases) can go right to recyclers. Other stuff such as power supplies and
> monitors and disk drives still contain some recyclable materials, and I
> believe there are companies that can extract it. Stuff that can't be
> reused or recycled still needs to be processed to make sure that no
> harmful elements (such as mercury) exists before seeing landfill.

That is elaborate. The Brampton project William is referring to is
below. It consists of only 3 people.
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1133566816830

As for Toronto's unwanted computers, I hear that some of them are ending

I sent a query to accesstoronto-b4MmrVKqEFv2chsKg/YiWw at public.gmane.org
 From the City of Toronto's
(http://www.toronto.ca/accesstoronto/index.htm), "Send us your
questions, concerns, feedback, etc. - our mandate is a timely and
informative reply by the end of the next business day (often much sooner!)."

We shall see :-)

Meng