TLUG and government grants

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 4 04:27:24 UTC 2005

On 12/3/05, William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 07:55:31PM -0500, Meng Cheah wrote:
> > William Park wrote:
> > >Today's Toronto Star has an article about computer recycling project
> > >which got $200k from Ontario Trillium foundation.
> > >
> > >Recent threads on "recycling" and "geek gift", gives all of us some food
> > >for thought.  For those of you who have more vested interested in this
> > >kind of things, perhaps, you may want to start something under GTALUG
> > >Inc.  You have my support at the board. :-)
> >
> > I'm curious. How does this work?
> > What do they do with the stuff they cannot re-use?
>
> I have no idea.  That's why I said "those with more vested interest".
> :-)  You really have to know the ins/outs of Gov grants.  You don't care
> about computers.  You care only about Gov grants.  The computers are
> just pretext.

If the computers are "mere pretext," then that certainly *wouldn't*
see my support at the board.

> > The Toronto Solid Waste Drop-off Depots accept old computers too.
> > What does the City of Toronto do with the old computers?
> >
> > From the article in The Star, since August 2004, they have diverted 10
> > tonnes from the landfills and given out 50 computers.
>
> Yes, math don't add up.  But, neither does Ontario Trillium which, by
> its mandate, gives away $100Million every year.

> > Does Toronto dispose of the computers in landfills, here or south?
> > Or ship them to China for recycling?
>
> Now, that's racist statement, Meng.  Why on earth do they don't with our
> old junk, when all the new hardwares are now made in China?

What's racist about identifying a particular country whose government
has set up policies that essentially involve poisoning their subjects
(I'm not sure "citizen" is quite the right word) by importing and
burning the remains of North American computers?

<http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2002/02/25/computer-waste.htm>

Proposals for computer "recycling" that hide under the carpet what
happens to the bits that *aren't* reusable are disingenous at best,
though most would prefer to call the digging implement a digging
implement and characterize it as dishonesty.
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)