Another dead power supply

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 4 03:03:25 UTC 2005

On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 09:40:37PM -0500, phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org wrote:
> >> The moral: buy a good power supply, and make sure it has some sort
> >> of protection circuit on the output.
> >
> > What brand of power supply are you using now or recommend?
>
> Right now, I have a generic no-name power supply in there as a
> temporary replacement. Hopefully it will last long enough until I have
> a chance to get something reliable.
>
> I have heard that Antec power supplies are reasonably reliable. They
> start at about $60 at Canada Computes. The product description
> includes output protection against short circuits and overvoltage.
>
> No doubt other people on this list will have ideas on suitable
> supplies.  But it's a reasonable bet that a $20 generic power supply
> is lower quality than a $60 name brand.

But, thing is, even I wouldn't know what to look for inside of these
thing.  How can I tell them apart at the store?
    - is heavier the better?
    - shiny label with various certifications?

Can you test them non-destructively?  I'm thinking, we can turn this
into TLUG project.  We all bring our (spare) power supplies to get
tested, and we'll publish our results on website.

--
William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>, Toronto, Canada
BashDiff: Super Bash shell