Geek gifts - Digital Camera

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 2 16:11:13 UTC 2005

Let me add to the stuff on offer (and help clear out
closet) here. I have a digital camera to offer, and
before I get snowed under with "I want it!" e-mails
let me explain why, even though last time I cheched
the camera worked, you might not want THIS camera:

- The resolution of the camera is 160 x 120 pixels. In
an
  era when 1 Mega-pixel cameras are considered
old-time
  this camera is less than 1/50 of a  Mega-pixel.
- The (non-expandable) storage in this camera will
allow
  for about 6 pictures before you have to unload the
  pictures.
- The camera uses a proprietary serial cable in order
  connect it to a PC (Mac users need not bother with
this
  camera).
- The camera does not have a flash so you will need to

  take all pictures outdoors or in places with VERY
strong
  artificial light.
- The camera was done in a joint venture between
Mattel
  and U.S. kids cable TV network Nickelodeon, which
means
  some other oddities:
    - The camera is purple with lime green, silver and

      black trim.
    - The software required to support this camera is
      Windows 95 or Windows 98 only.
    - When running the software pops up images and
voices
      of Nickelodeon cartoon characters.
    - The camera by default saves all images in a
      proprietary format, and you must take extra
steps
      in order to export images in .jpg format.

The camera does come with the original install CD-ROM,
lime green serial cable, a small user manual and a 9V
battery (not sure how much life is left in that
battery).

A number of the thumbnail pictures on my website
(http://www.mcgregor.org) were done with this camera,
so while the resolution leaves a LOT to be desired,
the quality isn't bad.

Pick-up options would be:

- Pick-up during normal business hours at my office
near
  King & River.
- Pick-up most evenings/weekends at my home near Yonge
&
  Eglinton.
- Pick up from me at the next GTALUG meeting December
  13th.
- Pick-up from me at the next Unix Unanimous meeting
  December 14th.

Colin McGregor