Geek gifts

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 1 18:02:15 UTC 2005

Zbigniew Koziol’s <zkoziol-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> recent request
for a computer has started me thinking. Being geeks we
are (almost?) all interested in new/different
technology, and many of us (yes, I am one) have
packrat tendencies. So, in this season of giving/self
improvement let’s see what can be done to help others
and ourselves. I would like to suggest a geek holiday
oriented gift program sort of patterned after the
FreecycleTO / FreeTOreuse projects that you can read
about here:

In essence we are talking about getting rid of stuff
that is just eating up closet space and will likely
not be used ever. Then maybe replace some of that with
some other old but interesting technology. To start
the project rolling let me put the following bits on
offer:

- Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition 120-Day
  Evaluation, includes SQL Server 2000 Reporting
Services. The
  package is new and un-opened. This was a free item
at a
  Microsoft sponsored event (hey, the food was quite
nice, so it
  wasn’t a total waste :-) ). No snarky comments
please.

- A copy of the Xandros Desktop OS, Open Circulation
Version
  (which is based on Linux). Picked this up early this
year

If your interested in one or both of the above e-mail
me, Then from the e-mails recieved over the next 24
hours I will pick a recipient and pass on more
information. As for how the above bits get from my
hands to yours, well there are four options, pick one:

- Pick-up during normal business hours at my office
near King &
  River.
- Pick-up most evenings/weekends at my home near Yonge
& Eglinton.
- Pick up from me at the next GTALUG meeting December
13th.
- Pick-up from me at the next Unix Unanimous meeting
December
  14th.

I will be checking my basement for more stuff, and I
have started to ask at the office regarding what stuff
is kicking around just eating up space. In other words
more to come from my end

Colin McGregor