Storage solutions

Sy sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 31 17:47:19 UTC 2005

On 8/31/05, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Why evms and not just the standard LVM that linux supports natively
> without patching the kernel?

It's supported out of the box by pclinux, so I don't have to worry
about kernel patching.

I thought evms was superior than lvm.. I don't know the differences
yet, I'll research these today.

I would think that LVM would be clearly superior, especially for
restoration purposes, because I wouldn't have to have a specialized
tool to get at the setup.  One of my fears with EVMS is that I'd have
to make a custom rescue disk.

That's actually as trivial as making an old DOS boot disk, and I'm
doing that anyways.. so it's not so big a concern, but it's not
something I want to *require*.

Anyways.. I'll look into LVM more closely.

> I just backup stuff that is important to DVD (using tob + some growisofs
> scripts).

I don't trust optical storage.  Actually, with my standards I probably
shouldn't trust magnetic storage either.. hrm.  Well, I don't have a
DVD writer so the point is moot.  I'll consider this stuff later.

> I run rsnapshot to make hourly rsync snapshots of everything important
> too, and run everything on md raid1 on a pair of sata drives.  Once
> every few hours important stuff is also rsync'd to another server and
> vice versa.

I'll look at this tool and reconsider my dislike of diff'd backups.
My fear, as above, is that recovery in the face of a disaster would be
annoying with a diff'd setup.

Fraser, I'll look at rdiff-backup and some other tools, thanks.

So far, the idea is thus:

2 HDDs, softraided somehow.
Diff-backupd to an external solution.