Best Laptop for Linux

Jason Shein jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 31 17:11:17 UTC 2005

On August 31, 2005 12:51 pm, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 12:49:06PM -0400, Jason Shein wrote:
> > I just bought, and am in the middle of installing Ubuntu / Kubuntu on an
> > Acer Travelmate 4400.
> >
> > AMD Turion Mobile 64 CPU
> >
> > http://acer.ca/acerpanam/page4.do?dau22.oid=10353&UserCtxParam=0&GroupCtx
> >Param=0&dctx1=27&CountryISOCtxParam=CA&LanguageISOCtxParam=en&crc=34925060
> >94
> >
> > All the information I found around the net said it works well.
> >
> > Will post my final thoughts on how it went later this afternoon.
>
> Well hopefulyl you can get X running.  ATI supports teh X700, but has no
> mention of the X700 mobility in their release notes.
>
> I think the Dell I have had trouble with has the same video chip and I
> still haven't managed to get X to work with it.
>
> Best bet for support is avoid ati video chips unless you know for SURE
> it is a supported one.
>
> Len Sorensen

I found out ( before I purchased ) that after installation X will not start.
The simple fix is to login on a terminal after installation and just add:

Option "MonitorLayout" "LVDS,AUTO"

to the Card-Section in xorg.conf

So it will look like

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"ATI Technologies, Inc. Radeon Mobility X700 (RV410)"
	Driver		"ati"
	BusID		"PCI:1:0:0"
	Option		"MonitorLayout" "LVDS,AUTO"

--
Jason Shein
Director of Networking, Operations and Systems
jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
( 905 ) - 876 - 4158 Voice
( 905 ) - 876 - 5817 Mobile
http://www.detachednetworks.ca