Installfest Market

Andrew Hammond ahammond-swQf4SbcV9C7WVzo/KQ3Mw at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 31 16:25:10 UTC 2005

On 31-Aug-05, at 11:55, Christopher Browne wrote:

> On 8/30/05, teddy mills <teddymills-VFlxZYho3OA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>> I think they next installfest should be targeted for Enterprise
>> and Servers.
>> The target should be people who want to use Linux in business and for
>> their servers.
>
> This sort of thing is something that folks like HP or IBM ought to
> want to run themselves, there being no particular value to GTALUG
> participation in the matter.
>
> That is a sales presentation, something GTALUG hasn't really got
> relevant resources for.

More to the point, who would bring a server to an install fest? Given
how trivial it has become to install and configure linux (at least to
the level which can be expected at an install fest), any business
that doesn't have sufficient skills in house (or under contract) for
the install wouldn't have the skills for ongoing maintenance. That's
a recipe for failure. I don't think that's the kind of word-of-mouth
that Linux either needs or wants.

I suggest that small business is still really a domain for
contractors. If a bunch of contractors want to organize under the
auspices of TLUG to offer free installs as a loss-leader for
maintenance contracts, well, that's a different thing. LinuxCaffe is
currently organizing a linux contractors contact list (or something
like that anyway). Perhaps that would be the right forum to set up
something like this.

Andrew Hammond    416-673-4138    ahammond-swQf4SbcV9C7WVzo/KQ3Mw at public.gmane.org
CB83 2838 4B67 D40F D086 3568 81FC E7E5 27AF 4A9A