external modem for laptop

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 31 15:11:59 UTC 2005

Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I need to pick up two external modems for two Linux laptops. Does anyone
>have any recommendations on who in Toronto has something that would work for
>me? I've tried calling around, but I'm finding it near impossible to get
>someone on the phone who even knows what's in stock, let alone whether or
>not it will work for me.

That's because, in these days of cable and wireless and DSL Internet,
modems are fast becoming redundant for many. Sales staff want to be
bleeding edge and modems are old school.

Getting modems that work well under Linux IMO means no "winmodems", in
which most of the modem work is done by software (always proprietary and
often Windows-only). There is some Winmodem support under Linux, but
it's sporadic and my personal experiences have been unsatisfiying. See
http://www.linmodems.org/ for more info on this.

For my own modem use (right now limited to fax-only use with Hylafax) I
have always stuck to the Multitech brand. Solid hardware, Linux-friendly
techs, and reasonably (if not commodity-level) priced. I note that the
same ZDX that I bought years ago is still available:
http://www.multitech.com/PRODUCTS/Families/MultiModemZDX/

The new development I see from them is a USB external modem explicitly
designed for laptop use (since an increasing number of laptops are
shipping without serial ports). Very small, and it doesn't even need
external power -- but it's no cheaper than the ZDX.
http://www.multitech.com/PRODUCTS/Families/MultiMobileUSB/
True to form, the company has supplied a note regarding the modem's use
with Linux:
ftp://ftp.multitech.com/usb/usb-linux2.txt

One thing: you will never find these at Futureshop or Staples, you'll
have to buy them direct or find out from Multitech who's selling them
locally. Still, I like to support vendors who not only recognize but
actively support Linux.

Hope this helps.

- Evan