Storage solutions

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 31 15:01:39 UTC 2005

On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 08:22:16AM -0500, Sy wrote:
> I need to arrange a *proper* storage solution.
>
> I'm working with an older EIDE setup and it seems expensive to buy a
> raid card or purchase a new setup which has raid on-board (which I
> don't trust anyways).
>
> I'm not so sure I want to consider a separate fileserver box at this point.
>
> I figure I'll get two EIDE drives in this beater box, softraided via
> an EVMS solution with one external USB drive for occasional
> backups/restores (later I'll get two) and a remote storage solution at
> work.

Why evms and not just the standard LVM that linux supports natively
without patching the kernel?

> I should note that I don't like the idea of using a cvs-style or is
> the term "staged backup" (i.e. back up changes into new archives)
> setup.  I like having a complete backup via rsync.  Maybe I should
> change my mind on this?
>
> What parts and tools do you all use?

I just backup stuff that is important to DVD (using tob + some growisofs
scripts).

I run rsnapshot to make hourly rsync snapshots of everything important
too, and run everything on md raid1 on a pair of sata drives.  Once
every few hours important stuff is also rsync'd to another server and
vice versa.

Lennart Sorensen