Serial connector stuck to computer

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 31 14:53:48 UTC 2005

On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 11:25:50PM -0400, psema4 wrote:
> Lol - I envy your "skill": About 6 months ago I pulled power from a hard
> drive (ide) in a running system. I was way too tired to realize the power
> was still on and went ahead with it.
>
> Fried the mobo completely. I went to sleep immediately after laughing wildly
> and turning the power off. Stupid, stupid mistake ran me about $1k.
> (Fortunately, it was my machine and not a clients!)

How odd.  That is excactly how I laways got my HD out of power down mode
on my 486.  I couldn't sleep if all 3 drives were running, so I sent
power down commands to two of them, which elliminated the extra noise
made by having 3 different drive RPMs running at the same time.

Unfortunately it never had a clue how to spin them up again on access,
so I power cycled the drives to get them going again, which so far has
never caused a problem.

I don't encourage the practice though.

Lennart Sorensen