Linux terminal server for educational purposes

Phil Kay pkay-Wu5PbJhdqlKw5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 31 02:05:26 UTC 2005

Ray,

On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 20:18 -0400, Ray Payne wrote:
> I am somewhat new to Linux and want to know if anyone has done this before I
> start researching too much since Google didn't come up with obvious matches
> right away.  While it's very easy to use a shell across the internet on a
> Linux box, I'd like to try to set up a machine that could run multiple
> client graphical interfaces for remote users on Windows PCs.  This is
> entirely just a way for me to help a couple of friends that can't (or won't)
> load the knoppix CD on their systems.

I've just started to use the nxclient from NoMachine.  www.nomachine.com

While the server portion from nomachine is a paid product it seems to be
implemented pretty well as a FreeNX as well.  It seems to do a better
job of session management than vnc and even promises sound support.  It
also works over ssh so nothing major needs to be done to the box other
than installing FreeNX.  BTW, the clients (Windows or Linux) from
nomachine are provided free of charge.

Unfortunately, I am still having some difficulty tweaking it to my
liking.  Sound support is giving me trouble.  Also, I'd like to use
pam_mount upon authentication, but it is failing so far.  I'm still
figuring out why.  It works perfectly with ssh, but the nomachine client
dies in the midst of the mount procedure.

Phil
--
Phil Kay <pkay-Wu5PbJhdqlKw5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org>