Linux terminal server for educational purposes

Ryan Sanders ryan-TmYVyGByI+TYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 31 01:19:30 UTC 2005

Ray Payne wrote:
> I am somewhat new to Linux and want to know if anyone has done this before I
> start researching too much since Google didn't come up with obvious matches
> right away.  While it's very easy to use a shell across the internet on a
> Linux box, I'd like to try to set up a machine that could run multiple
> client graphical interfaces for remote users on Windows PCs.  This is
> entirely just a way for me to help a couple of friends that can't (or won't)
> load the knoppix CD on their systems.

Have a look at software that implements VNC.  TightVNC is a good option
that allows remote desktop connections from both Windows and Linux to
both Windows and Linux.  The Tight in TightVNC means that it can run
reasonably well over slow links.  If you are connecting from Linux to
Linux, you can even tunnel the whole connection through ssh for a secure
connection.

Ryan