Installfest thoughts

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 30 18:26:33 UTC 2005

Eddie,

The attached does not answer my central concern. At
the Install Fest there were two release forms present,
one of which was checked by a local lawyer then
offered to this list for inspection by anyone who was
interested. The other release form was NOT checked by
a local lawyer, was NOT offered to the volunteers so
those that were interested to review the form. The
second form was just dropped on us and was used to
cover up the checked release form.

Now, let us consider a "nightmare" scenario. Several
people come in, they sign the not checked form, then
something goes wrong with their computers. We then
find out the not checked form has a flaw in the
wording (something that does not apply in Ontario), so
the people can and then do sue. Ok, so as volunteers
and GTAlug is looking at tens of thousands of dollars
in compensation and/or legal fees.

In other words what happened on Saturday was insane on
several levels as:
- It potentially exposes us (volunteers and GTAlug) to
  unnecessary legal liability.
- If Centennial noticed (and I hope they didn't) it
  makes us look like we don't have our act together
  with 2 release forms.
- It make me feel like the executive views me with
  contempt as I am not trusted to do things right.

Now, if the executive wants to tell volunteers up
front we would like you to put in a lot of hours work
performing task X and along the way we will:
- Expose you to $10,000+ dollars worth of liability
  and we will not let you take steps to limit that
  liability.
- Try to make you look like an ass in front of people
  who you would like to respect you.
- Treat you with contempt.

Then fine, volunteers might consider the above
(granted I would not consider it for long or
seriously, but there are others who may be more
charitable).

Colin McGregor