NVidia or ATI - which has better Linux support?

Steve bassix-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 30 14:52:29 UTC 2005

Hi,

A friend of mine is looking at getting a new computer, so I'm trying
to help him make some choices. So far he is still using windows, but I
suspect (hope) he'll cross over to Linux in the near future.

In selecting hardware, I want to recommend things that are
"Linux-friendly". Specifically for video... I use an Nvidia chipset
AGP card and find it has great Linux compatibility/support. I do not
know much about ATI anymore though, as I don't use ATI cards anymore.

This person is not into 3D-gaming so he does not require the fastest
3D accelerated video. However I'm pretty sure he would require Video
In, Video Out (VIVO) as he has a camcorder as well as being a big
movie fan.

Can anyone give me any impressions of NVidia vs. ATI cards with these
features in Linux? As well, any observations of which company seems to
be more committed to Linux?

Thanks a lot for any info!

-Steve.
--
Ubuntu :: Linux for Human Beings :: ubuntulinux.org