Mandrake/Mandriva dependancy handeling...

Philip Kay pkay-Wu5PbJhdqlKw5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 29 17:01:21 UTC 2005

Lance,

On Mon, 2005-08-29 at 12:44 -0400, Lance F. Squire wrote:
> My Wife is running a Mandriva desktop, and is trying to install a
> program she downloaded.
>
> The program is having dependency issues. Is there a program on Mandriva
> that will sort this out for her?
>
> I usually use YUM or Apt-Get on my FC4 systems to avoid this, but was
> unable to locate such for Mandrake in the past...

I think urpmi is one of the best for this. Set up external sources using
this website: http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

Once you have that in place installing applications is as easy as "urpmi
<packagename>" or "urpmi *.rpm"

Even better, you can upgrade versions of Mandriva without a reboot using
urpmi (if you skip kernel).

--
Philip Kay <pkay-Wu5PbJhdqlKw5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org>