Installfest thoughts

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 28 16:05:49 UTC 2005

On Sun, Aug 28, 2005 at 10:41:03AM -0400, Colin McGregor wrote:
> Something to be discussed, I passed out some 300
> flyers promoting this event, nobody showed, what went
> wrong?
>
> - Was the flyer wrong look/layout?
> - Did I not promote the event in the right places?
> - Was the date wrong (i.e.: end of summer)?
> - Was the place wrong (too far from subway)?
> - Something else?

1.  Perhaps, the emphasis on "old computers" is misplaced.  This just
    reinforces stereotype that Linux is for poor and cheapskates.
    Meaning, when you have real money, then, you should upgrade from
    Windows emulators to the real thing.

    Also, this kind of InstallFest reinforces idea that Linux is free.
    The software is "free" (you can do whatever with it), but everything
    else has cost.  In fact, by the time you have another person install
    Linux, it costs about the same as Windows from set go.

    Linux lowers maintenance cost.  But, here's the catch.  Whereas we
    see this as problem to solve.  There are whole IT staffs who see
    this as job security.

2.  Perhaps, we should target local businesses and organizations with
    "free install promo".  But, they could install Linux themselves.
    What's can we offer, then?  Maybe, we can do something like "3-month
    free trial".

    - target local organization, business, NGO, charity, church, etc.
    - we'll install Linux and do custom configuration for free for
      3-month (or 6, 12 month).
    - if they are satisfied, then they can hire GTALUG on retainer for
      tech support and development.

> Other concerns, who speaks for GTALUG? I arranged for a release form
> (not needed this time out) to be checked and vetted by a local lawyer.

Unless this guy is retained by GTALUG, this point is moot.

--
William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>, Toronto, Canada
BashDiff: Super Bash shell