Indigo cutting back Linux magazines?

Taavi Burns jaaaarel-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 28 05:55:36 UTC 2005

On 8/19/05, Steve <bassix-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Maybe it's just me, but for over a month the Indigo store that USED to have
> lots of Linux magazines (ones with discs) has been nearly empty of Linux
> mags! Haven't seen a single copy of Linux Format or Linux Magazine for
> instance. Has anyone else noticed this? Don't worry, because there's still
> tons of Windows mags... and even Mac mags.

I was at the Chapters on Highway 7 between Woodbine and Warden, and
managed to find Linux Format (and a few others) in the "Investing"
section.  I thought that was fitting, until I found some Windows mags
right beside the Linux ones.  It looked like there wasn't a computer
section; just a games section, and then other stuff lumped together
with poor taste.  ;)

There was also discussion on the list about computer book stores.  I
found one that carries older titles along Yonge, directly across from
Sam the Record Man (a few storefronts South of Elm).  The storefront
is pretty small, but the store goes waaaaaaaay into the back, and has
a whole room full of older titles, along with older software.  I
grabbed a copy of Prince of Persia 2, but they also had copies of
Mandrake 8.2 for sale, and a book on writing software with Gnome and
GTK+ (albeit from 2000).  Any book w/out an extra sale sticker goes
for 1/2 of the publisher's recommended rate (I also snagged one book
for $10 that had no sale sticker and was listed for $28USD; no clue on
that one, but no complaints either!).

--
taa
/*eof*/