SOLVED-Not getting root's mail - Postfix

Wed Aug 24 16:57:25 UTC 2005

On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 09:59:10AM -0400, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
>On 8/23/05, William O'Higgins Witteman <william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

>> >I use Exim not Postfix but:
>> >
>> >does postmaster behave the same way?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> >Is "me" a real configuration variable or just your way of guarding
>> >your privacy here?
>>
>> Just a privacy measure - the file itself uses my actual login.
>
>Hmm.  When it gets sent to the smarthost, what is the address?
>To me it looks like the aliases file is just ignored completely.
>Is it in the right place?  Has a crucial symlink vanished?  Did
>the permissions change?

The problem was that the value of /etc/mailname had changed, and no
longer pointed somewhere that Postfix recognized as local.  Once I fixed
that and restarted Postfix (necessary) it worked again.  Thanks for the
help.
--

yours,

William