Setting up a network and sharing internet

Scott Allen scotta-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 24 11:07:27 UTC 2005

On Wed Aug 24,2005 03:44:08 AM Peter wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005, Henry Spencer wrote:
>> Trouble is, there's no cable-only solution that will hook a modern
>> machine to a 10Base2 or 10Base5 network at all.
[...]

This is what I was trying to imply when I said "mosly for educational
purposes". I guess I should have also stated "mostly impractical".

> My older hub has one 10Base2 and 5 (?) 10BaseT sockets. While not
> cable-only this 10MBps hub will likely cost less than a cable
> crimper (2nd hand) ;-) I also have a few NICs with 10Base2 BNCs. At
> least one is PCI. They are the cheap no-name kind with RTL8109/8139
> chips. I think it cost $12.

Unless you already have everything you need, I would think that
setting up a 10BaseT network instead of 10Base2 would end up to
costing about the same or be cheaper. The cost of a (used/obsolete)
10M only hub would be the same or less without the 10base2 or AUI
connector. New 100M PCI ethernet cards, that will also do 10M, can be
had for around $8 from places like Factory Direct. The UTP cable
would be cheaper than the coax cable and terminators required for
10Base2.

--
** Scott Allen   scotta-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org **
**     Toronto, Ontario, Canada     **