OT - Is this computer for real? (CORRECTION)

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 24 11:09:56 UTC 2005

--- Jamon Camisso <jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Colin McGregor wrote:
> > I was trying to locate stills from the short lived
> > (so-so) TV show "Century City", as the computer
> shown
> > on the web site below look similar to (the same
> > as?!?!) to the computers on "Century City". I was
> not
> > able to turn up any pictures of the computers in
> > "Century City", so I am not sure if that is where
> the
> > images below came from. Anyway "Century City" was
> set
> > in the year 2030, and the computers were NOT real
> > (very plausable that we would have computers
> looking
> > like before the year 2030, but not today).
> >
> > Colin McGregor
>
> Part of me hopes that a transparent LCD screen won't
> ever have the
> vibrance and saturation of colours that is the norm
> on mid range and up
> CRTs. The age old function vs. form dilemma I
> suppose.

I have a 21" CRT monitor on my desk, and yes I love
the size, sharpness, etc. of the screen. On the other
hand I would also be VERY happy to have a LOT less of
my desktop chewed up with that hulking monster. So,
give me a cheap large transparent LCD screen that
matches the vibrance and saturation of a CRT and I'll
be very interested.

As for the keyboard in the picture, it is a flat slab,
and yes there are flat slab keyboards sort of like
that today, in industrial settings (where they have to
worry about chemicals being spilled on the keyboard,
and want something that can be just wiped clean). But
normally people WANT the touch of a keyboard that
moves when they hit a key, and unless there is some
pressing reason to do otherwise (i.e. some industrial
settings) that is the way people go. In my case I hate
the look, but love the feel of the "natural" keyboards
and would want a comfortable keyboard in the future.
Pleasantly ironic, the keyboard and mouse on my main
home Linux box were built by Microsoft, a company that
does @#$% software, but comfortable (and ugly)
keyboards/mice.

Colin McGregor