Power Failure, Maybe?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 23 16:17:55 UTC 2005

On 8/23/05, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 20, 2005 at 01:11:09PM -0400, Christopher Browne wrote:
> > I've got a box (Athlon / ~1700MHz) which, after the storm fun of
> > yesterday, won't boot.
> >
> > It was hooked to a UPS, so I'm reasonably confident it didn't get
> > fried, but maybe something's up with the PSU...
> >
> > Some parts do seem to work:
> > - When 'switched on', the NIC lights up
> > - When 'switched on', an assortment of LEDs on the motherboard fire up
> >
> > But pressing the switch on the front that normally tells the mobo to
> > tell disks to fire up and then boot doesn't do anything.
> >
> > Does this seem like 'silly PSU failure'?  That's my suspicion...
> > What's irritating is that what I'd rather do than fix it is to migrate
> > files to the AMD64 box (nice Antec Sonata case), but that means having
> > to power it up :-(.
>
> No you just have to move the HD over and mount it to read your files.
> Unless you ran XFS, then oh dear.

Oh dear :-(.  Most of the important data was indeed on XFS :-(.

The disk drive headed in to work where there are plenty o IA-32 boxes,
and I had no difficulty building suitable tarballs of the XFS
filesystems and dropping them onto an ext2 FS mountable on knuth the
64 bit box.

I'm getting some odd segfaults here and there on some of the 64 bit
bins, but mail is now working, at least :-).
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)