[OT] Linksys routers, DHCP, and DNS

Allen Taylor agtnews-PeCUgM4zDv73fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 23 14:55:44 UTC 2005

On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 09:50:06AM -0400, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
> I got the Rogers cable connection yesterday and it works fine, even
> living up to the
> advertised speed (well, on Sunday night...)  While reconfiguring my
> boxes I noticed
> one oddity.  The Linksys router I brought from my past life now seems to run a
> proxy DNS server and advertises itself (192.168.1.1) as such in DHCP replies.
> It works just fine if I list it as the only nameserver entry in
> resolv.conf.  The thing is
> I can swear it didn't do this before - with the Comcast cable
> connection I had in
> California it just passed on the IP#s of Comcast's nameservers.  Anyone with an
> idea what could cause this different behaviour?

Basically, you can use any name server you want. When I was with Rogers,
I used their name servers directly on each box. When I switched to
Primus DSL, I decided not to have to change all boxes every time I
changed providers, so I set my router up like your Linksys, proxying the
DNS service for all internal machines.

So you're OK either way.

Allen