The best OS to deal with Flash Cards

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 23 13:52:01 UTC 2005

On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 07:13:14PM -0400, Marc Lijour wrote:
> what is would be the best OS + the best filesystem to deal with flash cards?
>
> I see a lot of linux resources on the web...

Well given people use flash cards for moving files around, I agree in
general with using VFAT.

As for OS, well watch out for redhat/fedora and a few others that have
auto mounting of usb memory devices, since they have sync enabled by
default in a lot of cases, and vfat with sync enabled is very slow and
causes a ton of extra updates of the FAT tables and can actually wear
out a flash card very quickly if it doesn't have decent wear leveling
(and even if it does, it will still reduce its life span).

Not sure where the hotplug or udev or whatever scripts are that decide
on the mount options for new devices, but hunt it down to be sure.

Lennart Sorensen