Setting up a network and sharing internet

Scott Allen scotta-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 23 10:08:03 UTC 2005

On Thu Aug 18,2005 12:34:27 PM Henry Spencer wrote:
> Ethernet hubs (switches, etc.) have built-in crossovers, so you use
> straight cables to connect hosts to hubs.  You can avoid needing a
> crossover cable by buying a hub instead, and using two straight
> cables to connect the two hosts to the hub.  If you're going to
> have more than two machines eventually, that's what you should do,
> because a crossover cable works only for exactly two machines --
> there is no cable-only method for larger numbers.  However, if
> you're only concerned about two, a crossover cable will be cheaper
> than a hub plus two straight cables.

Points below mosly for educational purposes:

Actually, there are cable-only methods for more than two machines,
called
10-base2 or 10-base5. They link 10M ethernet over a coaxial cable
without
hubs.

The are small differences between using a crossover cable or a
hub/switch, which can slighty affect the way the systems behave.
1) With a hub you will get a half-duplex connection. With a switch or
crossover it will likely be full-duplex. As already noted in another
posting in this thread, the difference is generally insignificant.
2) The hub/switch will usually always be powered up. Therefore when
one machine is powered off or disconnected, the network connection on
the other machine will still be "alive". With a crossover, when one
machine is powered off or disconnected, the other may see a dead
ethernet link. (I say "may" because some machines will keep the
ethernet active using standby power when "off" to allow for power up
control via ethernet). This may result in more or different error
messages, logs, etc. between one or the other method.

--
** Scott Allen   scotta-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org **
**     Toronto, Ontario, Canada     **