Linux Benchmarking

Scott Allen scotta-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 23 10:05:17 UTC 2005

On Fri Aug 19,2005 06:49:33 AM Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 05:26:55PM -0400, Sy wrote
>
> > humour:  BUT, if you manage to get a "linux distribution speed
> > comparison" website put together, I'd love to see "proof" that
> > stock-Slackware is better than the best-tweaked Gentoo setup.
> That'll
> > shut 'em up!  ;)
>
>   Speaking from the Gentoo side of things, I'd be interested in the
> results too.  Maybe we could get together and produce a Slackware vs
> Gentoo showdown... for the April meeting<g>.

You have to watch Gentoo. Being a source based system that makes it
easy to
choose the optimisation flags, a "best-tweaked" system can also become
unstable. It might win in the benchmark tests but break certain common
app's. (Of course you can modify the optimisation on a per app' basis
if you
want to get your hands just a little dirty).

To be a useful test though, I would think that you would want to
compare
stock-Slackware with "best-tweaked but still likely to be stable"
Gentoo
without individual app' tuning.

--
** Scott Allen   scotta-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org **