Indigo cutting back Linux magazines?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Aug 20 17:00:45 UTC 2005

On 8/19/05, James Knott <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Indigo should never have been allowed to buy Chapters as they've
> pretty well destroyed the book business.  Years ago, I used to buy at
> Coles, World's Biggest Bookstore, WH Smith, and Litchman's (never cared
> for Classic Books).  Now, most of have been absorbed by Indigo and the
> book selection has taken a dramatic turn for the worst.  Even PC-Maniak
> is gone.  :-(

Their effective exit from the book business ought to mean there is
room for someone to enter the book business anew, no?

There are several directions for new entries:

1.  For individual presses to jump in and arrange for "niche" displays
at "niche" stores.  Such as folks like Wrox/Apress/O'Reilly/... to set
up displays of their entire selections at one computer store or
another.

I'm not sure how that works for Oracle Press or other "even nicheier"
sorts of publishers, but I'll bet they could work a deal with a
computer store.

An interesting one would be Dover...

2.  For specialized bookstores to pop up that go after "niche" areas.

There are a couple in Ottawa; they seem not to have survived in Toronto.

Hey, it might make sense for LinuxCaffe to put in a bookshelf or two
with this in mind...  Prices will have to be premium due to lower
quantities, but that's a way to get the specialized books.

3.  We already have the option of amazon.whatever, which has the merit
of making practical distribution of books that were never economically
feasible when books had to pushed into the inventory of 150 stores...
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)