Setting up a network and sharing internet

Henry Spencer henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 19 18:39:47 UTC 2005

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > Or they thought so, anyway.  (People tend to have really exaggerated ideas
> > about how much network bandwidth they need...
>
> I like having at least 100 when I have a new cd image and want to
> transfer it to the machine with the burner in it.  10mbit is awfully
> painful to wait for.

If it's an occasional requirement, go have coffee or otherwise stretch
your legs for ten minutes. :-)  Or just work on something else meanwhile --
there are advantages to having an operating system that can walk and chew
gum simultaneously!

If you have to do it *often*, yes, it gets tiresome very quickly.

> No one has any reason to use less than 100mbit anymore.

Almost true.  That's why I mentioned "what's easy in silicon":  the chip
that holds a 10Mbit interface now almost always comes with a 100Mbit one
bundled in, so there's little reason *not* to use 100.

(Note that I hedge by saying "almost" and "little":  there are still
circumstances in which the choice is made for you by external factors.
Very-low-end embedded-control devices may speak only 10, and 10 is more
tolerant of long runs of lousy cable.)

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org