xmms has stopped working after a reinstall

Fri Aug 19 16:51:30 UTC 2005

I reinstalled Debian on a new 160GB disk, as part of an effort to get
some odd hardware flakiness subside.  I now have everything back to
normal except xine (which no longer seems to be in testing),
mplayer (which I need to download again) and xmms.

xmms seemed to be missing a couple of .so files, which I found via
apt-file, but when I press play xmms just cycles through the playlist at
an incredible speed, and makes no output.  vlc plays mp3s just fine, so
that's not the problem, but I haven't found any solutions online, and I
was hoping that this would sound familiar to someone.  Thanks.
--

yours,

William