Setting up a network and sharing internet

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 19 13:02:56 UTC 2005

On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 03:24:18PM -0400, Henry Spencer wrote:
> Or they thought so, anyway.  (People tend to have really exaggerated ideas
> about how much network bandwidth they need; mass-market LAN-hardware
> evolution is driven much more by marketing and by what's easy in silicon
> than by real need.  Most of today's LAN users still don't really need
> 100Mbit, let alone 1000.)

I like having at least 100 when I have a new cd image and want to
transfer it to the machine with the burner in it.  10mbit is awfully
painful to wait for.  No one has any reason to use less than 100mbit
anymore.  Of course 1000 would be lovely and all, but I doubt most
machines can get anywhere near using that to its potential, and gigabit
switches aren't practically free yet.

Now just because people don't use full duplex most of the time, doesn't
mean they don't think they should want it. :)

Lennart Sorensen