Is my computer dying? Answer; YES

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 18 22:34:33 UTC 2005

On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 11:48:45AM -0400, Henry Spencer wrote
> On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > > ...The rest of m1800 goes to the landfill.
> >
> > You need to have computers disposed of properly.  Too much lead and crap
> > in them.  The local recycling depot should know what to do with them.
>
> This is, unfortunately, an area Toronto doesn't handle well.  Some of the
> city recycling depots will take computers, at some hours (see the city
> recyling calendar for details).  But this doesn't work if you don't have a
> car -- not an issue most places, but a serious possibility in Toronto.
> Moreover, for some reason they take *only* computers, not other forms of
> electronics.

  I live in Thornhill, which is part of the City of Vaughan.  The URL
covering my situation is (mind the linewrap)...
http://www.region.york.on.ca/Services/Recycling/Electronic+Equipment+Recycling.htm
"Landfill" is a generic term that I probably shouldn't have used,
because it seems to be mis-understood.

My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca