Linux Benchmarking

Sy sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 18 21:26:55 UTC 2005

On 8/18/05, Jason Carson <jay-ZPnsNkHkFjk at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I am thinking about doing a Linux comparison by benchmarking various
> distros then posting the results on my website.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations as to what software I can use to do
> the benchmarking.

Having just come from a hotly-argued "which programming language is
fastest", I also recommend against this notion.

*However*, it would be interesting to see a comparison of different
benchmarking methods and programs for Linux.

* How fast is my memory?
* How fast is my cache?
* How fast is my video card?
* How fast is my hard drive?

humour:  BUT, if you manage to get a "linux distribution speed
comparison" website put together, I'd love to see "proof" that
stock-Slackware is better than the best-tweaked Gentoo setup.  That'll
shut 'em up!  ;)