Setting up a network and sharing internet

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 18 16:15:47 UTC 2005

Steve wrote:
> On 8/18/05, *William Park* <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
> <mailto:opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>> wrote:
>

>     > 1. Do I require a "crossover" ethernet cable to connect BOX#2 to
>     BOX#1?
>
>     Sharing dialup is no different from sharing DSL or Cable.  Box1 is
>     gateway of your internal network.  For 2 boxes only, you can use
>     crossover cable.
>

> Is there a way where I would not require a crossover cable? Can I make
> my Linux machine a router, and would that mean I could use a normal
> ethernet cable out of the NIC port to run into the laptop?

The only way to avoid a cross over cable, is to modify the NIC or use a
switch or hub.  The software using the NIC cannot perform physical
changes.  Devices, such as switches and hubs reverse the connections, so
that they can directly communicate with computers.  Many models also
have a switch to reverse the connections to one port, for cascading.
Incidentally, you don't need a crossover for those "router" boxes, as
they also include a switch, for connecting multiple computers.
Otherwise, you'd have a router connected to a switch or hub, which would
eliminate the need for a crossover.  Incidentally, another way to avoid
a crossover, is to switch to gigabit ethernet, where this problem
doesn't occur.

BTW, a crossover cable is cheap.  Go buy one, if you need it.