fstab entry to mount ext3 rw for all users?

interlug-list interlug-vSRlqIl1h/9eoWH0uzbU5w at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 18 15:17:10 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-18 at 11:05, Steve wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is the proper fstab entry in order to mount an ext3 partition at
> boot-time with full rights (rw) for any/all users? I tried a bunch of
> different things still get a permissions error when I try to copy a
> file to this partition as a regular user.

use the mount command to tell you what is properly mounted.

$ mount
/dev/hde2 on / type ext3 (rw) <-- this tells you hde2 is mounted

The permissions error is from a lack of permission, not improper
mounting.  Mounted rw or not, some users just aren't allowed to
overwrite files in /sbin.  This is a good thing.