Linux Benchmarking

Kevin Cozens kcozens-qazKcTl6WRFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 18 15:12:23 UTC 2005

Jason Carson wrote:
> I am thinking about doing a Linux comparison by benchmarking various
> distros then posting the results on my website.

Benchmarking distributions would be a waste of time. How are you going to
compare a distribution where everything is compiled for i386 vs. one where
everything is compiled for i686? Then you will encounter the differences
due to the kernel being used, the number of background processes each
distro starts by default, the use of GNOME vs. KDE, and even different
window managers.

What is it you really want to know about the different distributions?