Is my computer dying? Answer; YES

Francois Ouellette fouellet-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 18 14:43:56 UTC 2005

> On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 11:13:43PM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
> >   Tuesday evening, whilst reading usenet news and trying to respond, I
> > got some "Data Bus" error messages on my console on m1800, and had to
> > turn off the machine manually, because it stopped responding.  I'm
> > definitely looking for a new machine now.
>
> Well that sounds mostly like a problem between the cpu and the chipset,
> so it could be broken cpu or broken chipset/motherboard.  Of course a
> bad power supply could have slowly damaged either one.  Perhaps the ram
> is still OK.
>
> >   I was able to boot up m1800 after work today, and after ReiserFS did
> > its "replay" thing, I was able to "scp -r" my Maildir over to m450.  I
> > haven't even lost any email.  It's nice to...
> >
> >   a) have a machine die with warning like that
> >   b) have a "hot backup" that you can jump to immediately.

Have you tried re-flashing the BIOS?

Sometimes the BIOS flash memory "looses" information making the BIOS
unpredictable.
Some motherboards have two BIOS memories exactly for this purpose, if one
gets somehow damaged or erased your motherboard has a backup it can use.

  François Ouellette
<fouellet-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>