Linux Benchmarking

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 18 13:02:56 UTC 2005

On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 12:29:01AM -0400, Jason Carson wrote:
> I am thinking about doing a Linux comparison by benchmarking various
> distros then posting the results on my website.

For the most part they use the same sources with the same compiler and
the same libraries.  What exactly are you expecting to get out of that
besides wasting many hours of your life?

And what is a good benchmark?

Boot time?  Irrelevant given it depends mostly on how many services you
run and how often do you reboot a linux system?

Time to run a certain program on a certain task?  Unlikely to differ.
Maybe some distribution used a slightly more agresive (and potentially
buggy) optimization level in gcc making a program run a few percent
faster, although in some cases it may also be broken for the same
reason.

> Does anyone have any recommendations as to what software I can use to do
> the benchmarking. I found this page with a bunch of tests
> (http://lbs.sourceforge.net/)

I recomend not wasting your time.

Speed is not a real factor when picking a distribution.

Lennart Sorensen