Is my computer dying? Answer; YES

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 18 03:13:43 UTC 2005

On Sun, Aug 14, 2005 at 01:17:17AM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote

> Was that a "cosmic ray" event?  Do I trust it, or do I keep looking
> for a new machine?

  Tuesday evening, whilst reading usenet news and trying to respond, I
got some "Data Bus" error messages on my console on m1800, and had to
turn off the machine manually, because it stopped responding.  I'm
definitely looking for a new machine now.

  I was able to boot up m1800 after work today, and after ReiserFS did
its "replay" thing, I was able to "scp -r" my Maildir over to m450.  I
haven't even lost any email.  It's nice to...

  a) have a machine die with warning like that
  b) have a "hot backup" that you can jump to immediately.

  Once I get my new machine, m450 will inherit a second hard drive, and
have a video card upgrade.  Its 8 megabyte ATI Rage Pro (a Mach 64 chip,
*NOT* a Rage 128) will be replaced by the 64 megabyte Radeon 7000 from
m1800.  The rest of m1800 goes to the landfill.

My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca