Phone line static influencing DSL quality

Francois Ouellette fouellet-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 17 18:07:20 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sy" <sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
To: <tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org>
Sent: Wednesday, 17 August, 2005 13:45
Subject: Re: [TLUG]: Phone line static influencing DSL quality

Just to bring the thread (hopefully) to a close.  The problem was multifold.

* the original bell tech was incompatent.
* the demarcation point wasn't what I was using
* the demarcation point had a horrible jack on it
* the point I was using was split off of that and while it had a
better jack and therefore less noise, the line was terrible.
* my building has horrible wiring
* They were allowing me far too much speed, letting in more noise/errors.

Ok.. so hopefully things are better.  Maybe now I can start working
from home.  =)

=====================
Well, I recently had issues with my DSL service too, I am using Look
Communications basic 3Mbits service through a Bell line.
Everything started on August 2nd exactly right after the long week-end.

Consistently, at around 8:45am my DSL was becoming flaky, with the
connection going up and down sometimes with only 20 or 30 seconds of
connection at a time between the failures. Then everything was progressively
coming back to normal around 11:00am.

Then, at around 1:15pm, same thing... Then back to normal a few hours later.
Then at around 5:15pm going up, down, up... until about 9:00pm.

They eventually admitted that they received several complaints from
subscribers in Toronto about this same problem.

The official answer from Look was that my router was bad.  I connected the
modem directly to my computer and the same problem occurred. Then they said
that my modem was bad... Why, I asked them, that it only went bad at
specific times of the day?

Duhhh... O.K. let's open a ticket with Bell.  Bell also blamed it on my
modem, saying that my line had been checked (not true, no one ever came to
my place to check the quality of the line).

Then last week suddently everything came back to normal.

I strongly suspect that an idiot at Bell decided to run backups or some
heavy job on their servers at specific hours, with a schedule starting on
the first workday of August! Then realized it was causing lots of problems
and stopped doing it.

  François Ouellette
<fouellet-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>