UPDATE Re: OT: Hardware troubleshooting

Wed Aug 17 16:58:25 UTC 2005

On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 09:38:27AM -0400, Jamon Camisso wrote:
>William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
>>Update:
>>
>>I friend of mine recently upgraded his power supply (he has too much
>>running off his 5V lead for a 410W power supply), and lent me his
>>perfectly servicable PC Power & Cooling 410W unit.
>>
>>I've plugged that in, and it seems to have fixed the problem - but with
>>intermittent problems I'll need more than the half-dozen flawless power
>>cycles I've done to really be sure.  Thanks to everyone who provided an
>>opinion/suggestion or recommendation.
>
>Is a very satisfying thing to have resolved no?
>
>Good to hear that it (likely) wasn't something more difficult to
>troubleshoot and pin down.

Sadly, you spoke too soon (so did I).  The incidences of the BIOS not
finding the boot drive (which is hdb1 - MBR is on hda1) have gone right
down since getting the new power supply in place, but they are still
occuring.  I will pick up a new HD and move everything over and see what
that gets me, but I am beginning to fear a bad motherboard, which is
very, very tiresome.
--

yours,

William