NAS or RAID

Robert F. Kennedy rfk-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 17 02:45:10 UTC 2005

Hello Joseph and everyone who has replied,

>Please define large.
I would like to start with two 200GB drives and just add extra drives as
the need arises.
>What purpose?
photos, videos, assorted downloaded trash, PVR and backup
>Is cost an issue?
Yes
>Is speed an issue?
Probably not so critical for these applications, I don't know if speed
is a big issue for PVR. I generally like to have as much speed as I can
get. I've always had 10,000RPM SCSI disks but prices for these drives is
crazy compared to what I can get in SATA.
>How long can it be offline if it crashes and you have to restore from
backup?
>what method of backup do you have in mind?
I won't backup this file server but it will be a backup for a server and
a PC (not large amounts, just data)

Basically due to a very limited computer budget I've been getting along
on about 50GB among three computers (very tight) for three years now so
there are probably lots of things I will start doing that I can't even
think of doing right now. Along those lines does anyone have any
suggestions on what to fill the file server with that I haven't
anticipated?

Thanks for the many replies.