NAS or RAID

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 16 23:09:01 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-16-08 at 01:37 -0400, Robert F. Kennedy wrote:

> Has anyone created a large storage system like NAS or a RAID subsystem?
> I am thinking of creating a large hard drive storage system and was
> wondering what others have created.

Pretty much depends on what you want it for:

- if money is no object SAN might work
- NAS can be quite inexpensive but NFS seemed a bit slow in Linux
  (probably improved now in 2.6 kernel)
- direct attached storage can be big, fast, cheap and good but
  limited space if you're trying to fit it in typical server case

If you care about availability then definitely make sure whatever
solution you choose is RAIDed.

For internal storage I've heard good reviews on 3ware RAID controllers,
last time I looked they had controllers that supported up to 12 IDE
disks in whichever RAID configuration you wanted, that's serious storage
with 500GB disks available these days!

For direct attached storage in addition to internal drives you can look
at USB, SCSI, firewire, SATA and (no doubt) other types of enclosures.

--
Fraser Campbell <fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org>               http://www.wehave.net/
Georgetown, Ontario, Canada                       Debian GNU/Linux