NAS or RAID

Justin Weissig jweissig-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 16 08:45:03 UTC 2005

Sure, I've build some.

System: P4 2.8GHz with 1GB RAM.
Drives: 4 x MAXTOR 300GB SATA 7200RPM 16MB

Then pick your raid card: Highpoint, PROMISE, 3Ware.

Some people might say not to use hardware raid and just use software
raid but hardware offers features that are easily to use when things
go wrong.

Something like the above will give you a little less than 900GB in a
RAID 5 for around $2100.

Great for office NAS server. Install samba with winbind and you have a
drop in replacement for many of the windows options.

- Justin