Convert FAT32 to ext3?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 15 18:19:53 UTC 2005

On 8/15/05, Steve <bassix-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I have a large FAT32 partition with still a bunch of stuff on it, that I
> want to convert to ext3. Is this possible, keeping the data on it? I'm
> trying to avoid burning onto a bunch of DVDs!

No, that sort of thing is not supported.

The problem is that a "FS1 to FS2" convertor would require a complete
comprehension of BOTH filesystems, which would be orders of magnitude more
difficult than merely understanding one of them.

Furthermore, if power was interrupted half way through, what would you
expect would happen? Parts of the partition would be in "FS1" format and
other parts would be in "FS2" format. And what if both expected to use
certain portions of the partition to store some of the basic lookup
information?

Every time you "turn over a stone" you find another set of Really Ugly
Conditions associated with such a process.

You would be WAY better off grabbing a cheap USB disk (I grabbed a 40GB one
that runs off USB power for $150 a little while back) and temporarily copy
the data onto something like that. If you had a Terabyte of data to move
around, LaCie sells a 1TB FireWire disk array for about $1K USD, at the
"ridiculously large" side of things :-).

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)