Looking for ISP, again

Ian Zimmerman nobrowser-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 15 14:19:38 UTC 2005

On 8/11/05, Marcus Brubaker <marcus.brubaker-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I've been using Rogers cable internet service for 4 or
> 5 years now and while it's not perfect and their staff are (with some
> notable exceptions) remarkably stupid, I can't really complain too much.

So I scheduled a Rogers setup.  Ominously, though, the phone rep asked
what version of Windoze I used.  I said why, he said making sure "my computer
could handle the speed".  I said I knew it could because I'd built it
myself <grin>.
That was good enough for him, but if the install tech is on the same level,
I'll need to be prepared.  The Linksys router which I want to connect behind
the modem has the following options for connection type.  So you know
which is the correct setting for Rogers cable?

The following are Internet Connection Types :

If your ISP is running a DHCP server, select the Obtain an IP
automatically option. Your ISP will provide you with an IP address.
Your ISP may require you to fill in both the Host Name and Domain Name
fields. If your ISP requires MAC address validation, this can be done
from the Setup -> MAC address clone screen.

If your ISP provides a static or fixed IP address, Subnet Mask,
Gateway and DNS setting, select the Static IP option.

If your ISP provides a PPPoE connection, follow the configuration steps below:

   1. Enter your User Name and Password.
   2. Check the Connect on Demand or Keep Alive option.

If your ISP provides RAS (for SingTel)connection,  follow the steps below:

   1. Enter your User Name and Password.
   2. Select your RAS Plan. For example, a 512k user should choose
512k Ethernet.
   3. Check the Connect on Demand or Keep Alive option.

SingTel Magix uses Alcatel Remote Access Service (RAS) as the main
method to authenticate their ADSL servers. This method uses TCP port
5555.

If your ISP provides a PPTP connection, follow the steps below:

   1. Enter the  IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway  Address
   2. Enter your User Name and Password.
   3. Check the Connect on Demand or Keep Alive option.

If your ISP provides Heart Beat Signal connection, follow the
instructions below:

   1. Enter your User Name and Password.
   2. Enter your Heart Beat Server address.
   3. Check the Connect on Demand or Keep Alive option.

You need to fill in both the User Name and Password fields, as
directed by your ISP.

You can also select the Connect on Demand option for automatic
connection. After you select the Connect on Demand feature in the
status screen, the connection will be disconnected if it has been idle
for a period longer than the Max Idle Time setting. If you check the
Keep Alive option, the Router will always try to keep the line
connected.
<<

Thanks again,
Ian