Power Consumption

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 15 00:42:58 UTC 2005

On 8/14/05, Francois Ouellette <fouellet-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> It definitely costs something!
>
> Looking at the added wattage of everything I have at home (2 desktops with
> tube monitors, 1 laptop, router, printers, etc) it easily adds up to over
> 2500 watts when many things are in use at the same time. This costs easily
> few dollars every day.

It's not nearly as simple as that.

Power supplies have to be rated for peak load, and, not unlike with
aircraft, that peak is normally required only for a brief period of time, at
start up time.

Once the system is up, it likely consumes quite a lot less than the 300W
that is the common rating for PSUs...
"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)