Computer bookstores in GTA

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 15 00:31:02 UTC 2005

On 8/14/05, James Knott <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Christopher Browne wrote:
> > In contrast, book stores have the *massive* added costs of evaluating
> > and pushing inventory throughout their store networks. This leads to an
> > inherent inefficiency, namely that unless they HEAVILY overstock, it is
> > likely that they will run out of a book at some locations whilst copies
> > remain unsold elsewhere.
> >
> > That doesn't happen for Amazon and Chapters; the books are only at one
> > location, and the way they "run out" is if there truly is no stock left.
>
> Chapters stores will check stock at other stores and also ask the other
> store to hold a copy.

Chapters is an ambiguous case because they combine "brick and mortar store"
with an Internet "shipping from central locations" operation.

In the above, I was referring to them as "Internet sale from central
location", NOT in their role as having multiple locations.

The same ambiguity is true for Barnes & Noble who have both stores and an
internet operation...

At any rate, the point should be clear. In a *centralized* operation such as
Amazon and others that operate *centralized operations*, there is no need
for the numerous costs of transshipment.
"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)