Computer bookstores in GTA

Henry Spencer henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 14 21:01:38 UTC 2005

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005, Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
> ...But I have no doubts that sitting
> behind the monitor almost all the time is probably like to be exposed to
> X-rays at least a few times during the year...

There is data on X-ray exposure from monitors going back over half a
century.  (People working in TV production spent their days looking
closely at monitors well before there were computers involved.)  As I
noted in an earlier posting, X-ray emissions from monitors have long
been regulated and tested for.

> ...Not mentioning demage that computer usage does to our
> psychic and interpersonal relations with these who do not care much
> about computers or the Internet...

Years ago, I had the pleasure of attending a talk by Grace Hopper; she was
generally very optimistic about the effects of the spread of computers.
In the Q&A at the end, somebody asked her about the "depersonalizing"
effects of computer communication.  She smiled and said:  "you know, I can
remember when they said that about telephones".

> P.s.: I am reading a lot of books but when going to my work, on subway
> or busses. These though are not technical books ;) When I am at home, I
> use the Internet only...

You're missing a lot.  There are still many things not online.

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org