Computer bookstores in GTA

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 14 13:54:52 UTC 2005

On 8/13/05, pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org <pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I thought what I said in an earlier thread beared repeating, and
> probably its own discussion. To repeat:
>
> As far as el-cheapo bookstores are concerned, I believe Compubooks
> of Scarborough is the last one in existence in the Greater Toronto
> Area. Last month, PC Maniak bit the dust. They say it is due to
> publishers selling to Amazon, Chapters and the like at a rate that
> undercuts independent doscount booksellers such as Compubooks.

Amazon and Chapters (in "Internet form", at least) can offer something that
"brick and mortar stores" can't, and that is a guarantee of relatively low
return rates.

In effect, they get in a few boxes of each book, and ship to customers out
of that box.

In contrast, book stores have the *massive* added costs of evaluating and
pushing inventory throughout their store networks. This leads to an inherent
inefficiency, namely that unless they HEAVILY overstock, it is likely that
they will run out of a book at some locations whilst copies remain unsold
elsewhere.

That doesn't happen for Amazon and Chapters; the books are only at one
location, and the way they "run out" is if there truly is no stock left.

The "sell via Internet" model allows APress to sell books with smaller
production runs (e.g. - recent works on zsh, Lisp) where they can get low
wastage out of the fact that the inventory doesn't get pushed 2000 ways (e.g.
- copies going to each "brick store" outlet of Barnes & Noble, Borders,
Chapters), but can rather stay in a very few central locations.

This is changing the book industry; O'Reilly is still wedded to the need to
push their books out to 2000 "big box store" locations, so they have to sell
to a lowest common denominator which means that I'm not interested in the
kinds of books they publish anymore. I doubt I'm the only one...

This does leave "Compubooks" in a sticky place; the "new way" of bookselling
described above leaves them out. I don't have an answer to that...
"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)