Library path question

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 14 02:52:05 UTC 2005

  Having gotten a digital camera recently, I will admit to taking the
(ahem) occasional not-quite-perfect (cough cough) picture that could
stand a little bit of touching up via Gimp.  Since each successive
save+reload of JPEGs loses quality in the translation, the best approach
is to start with the TIFF.  Use JPEG only to upload final results to
hobbyist photo websites, where a 14.5 meg TIFF would not be appreciated.
Since libtiff doesn't read exif data from TIFFs, Gimp (which uses
libtiff) can't access or save the exif data to any JPEG copies of the
same file.

  To the rescue comes "exiftool",a perl module that can read and write a
whole bunch of metadata, including exif.  My use right now is copying
exif data from TIFFs to their JPEG descendants.

  One thing I noticed is that when you uncompress the tarball, the
commandline utility can be run without installing if you cd to to the
directory containing it.  To get it to run from anywhere, you need to

   perl Makefile.PL
   make
   make test
   make install

with the last step requiring root access.  I assume this copies libs to
some place on the libpath?  Would it be possible to just uncompress it
to a regular user's directory, and append the path to LIBPATH, or
whatever?

My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca